Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bikini Season

It's the time of year for "hot fun in the summertime": swimming in or lounging by the pool, boating on the river, and going to the beach.  I love this time of year because I love to be in the water.  When I'm pregnant (not now), it is so nice to float weightless, and always this time of year, it's just plain refreshing to get out of the heat and cool off a little.  At the beach or the river, our family enjoys God's creation, the beauty of the marshes and the awesome wonders of the ocean.

Head to most any beach or public pool, and you will see many, if not most, girls in bikinis.  I can't imagine letting my little ones run around in nothing more than their underwear covers in front of strangers, though I know it is the norm.  Most modest women reading this are in full agreement with me at this point, but...

I'm not saying we should do away with bikinis.  I own and wear several bikini sets myself.  GASP!  What is the preacher's wife saying?

When modest women dress, they not only need to consider that they're representing God, but they need to dress for their husbands.  If you've got a private backyard or a boat that takes you to a quiet place, your husband may be happy to see you in a bikini and erase any mental images he may have of other women.  If you go on a vacation, don't be afraid to pull out a bikini (or strapless maxi dress) to whoo your husbands, who were designed by God as visually stimulated creatures.  Keep the spark of your marriage alive as you dress for your husbands!

5 comments:

Erin said...

I have JUST let Veronica have a two piece bathing suit this summer (she's 11) and it's a tankini style where the top and bottom meet. I can't get over how many little girls wear bikini style bathing suits! I don't have any myself but you have a great suggestion for getting one....once I drop some weight, haha!

Lauren said...

My oldest has a tankini too. It definitely comes in handy when we're on the boat and she has to potty! Rather than having to take the lifejacket off and dangle her off the side of the boat without the security, she can just pull the bottoms down! And when we go off with other people, I have a tankini too. They are easier to find a good fit than a one-piece sometimes. Thanks for commenting, Erin!

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

What an interesting post. I owned a bikini or two before I had kids and loved wearing them when my hubby and were at our apartment pool that no one else seemed to ever use... Now with three boys in the house (and the fact that my four treasures have left their mark on my middle) I've skirted away from that. I appreciated the perspective of dressing for your husband and always try to find a balance there as well.

Leah F said...

In regards to what Heather mentioned, about shying away from bikinis with sons in the house, how do you talk about the difference with your children? The difference between dressing in a bikini in private for the pleasure of your husband, and yet dressing modestly in public so as not to dishonor Christ? Or do you not wear bikinis, etc., around your children?

Lauren said...

I definitely wear bikinis around my kids. With my girls, I feel like I have lots of opportunities for "pre-sex talk" talk. This is one of them. I have said that God created women to be beautiful for His glory and for their husbands' pleasure. It's why I wear make-up and it's why I will sometimes wear bikinis. Daddy likes to look at God's creation where it is perfectly appropriate. None of the girls have yet asked why I don't wear a bikini at other times. I would say then that I don't want other men to be tempted to look at me. Some things are only meant to be seen by our husbands. I do admit that I haven't given too much thought about what I'll do when my son is older. Right now, I'm trying to help him understand that mommy needs privacy in the bathroom for pottying and showering!